Presented by James Dalman on 02/05/2018 2:00pm
James is a US military veteran and entrepreneur. During this Freelance Survival Series, James plans to provide us with the tactical to practical on building a successful freelancing business.
There are certain skills every freelancer must have in order to survive. This webinar discusses what those skills are and the questions you should be continually asking yourself as you begin, or continue down the freelancing trail.Learn how to navigate to ensure that the path you are on is leading to where you want to go. Click To Tweet
9 Essential Freelancing Skills
1. Assess the Situation:
- Who can you trust with your life and business?
- Why are you in the situation you’re in right now?
- What skills do you currently have?
- Where do you want to be?
- How will you know you’re safe?
2. Start a Fire:
- Fires (and great brands) are mesmerizing and enchanting.
- A fire can keep you focused and warm about your vision.
- Fires will help you to be seen – and people need to see you!
- Fires can protect you from animals.
3. Find Food and Water
- If you don’t sustain yourself you will die! This is why you MUST
- make a living.
- Proper nourishment requires the right calories. This means no free or discounted work.
- Food and water are valuable resources. So are your talents.
- Tainted food is worse than no food. Discard or avoid bad clients like dysentery.
4. Build Your Shelter:
- Your body IS your house. Don’t let it be destroyed.
- Maintaining proper health will give you energy and keep you alive when others die.
- Sitting behind a computer all day for years on end will kill you.
- There are times to move and times to remain still.
5. Accept Your Limitations
- Always listen to your gut in dangerous situations.
- Pushing your comfort zone might get you killed.
- Screw your weakness. Embrace your strengths.
- Learn YOUR basic survival skills and specialize in them … kick ass at them!
7. Perform First-Aid
- Depression, stress, sadness, disorientation are all real and all deadly.
- Suicide is NEVER the answer.
- Ask for help. There is no shame in it.
- Talk with people you trust.
- Remain positive even when the shit gets real. And it will get real!
8. Create a Survival Kit
- Being prepared makes a difference between success and failure.
- Invest in the tools that will make your life and your business better.
- Foster great relationships with people because they benefit you in so many ways.
- Read and learn from the experiences of others. It might save your life.
- Get the Ultimate Guide to Starting a Freelance Web Design Business from iThemes
9. Learn to Navigate:
- Staying put rarely ends up as a success story.
- Planning your route is critical to reaching your destination.
- Determine the direction you want to go and launch out in that direction
- Stop second guessing yourself or it will drive you mad.
- Always press forward and only retreat if necessary (Don’t get into a pissing match with a grizzly bear).
Presenter Bio: James Dalman
James Dalman, a long-time entrepreneur, has been in the marketing and design industry for 28 years. He's coached hundreds of entrepreneurs on building their businesses and spoken at events across the United States on entrepreneurship, freelancing, and branding. James is a US military veteran, having served in the U.S. Army Reserves and National Guard as an 11 Bravo Infantryman for six years. He is founder and CEO of Happy Joe, a medical cannabis education and products company postured perfectly to focus on changing the negative stories surrounding the military community and investing in veteran-owned businesses.